A definition of leadership is a set of skills that a person has, used to guide and influence others to work enthusiastically to achieve their goals. For a company, a good leader should be a professional who is constantly developing, improving, and training. Someone proactive and above all, someone completely adaptable and capable of working smoothly with a team. He or she must be communicative, honest, strategical, disciplined, creative, capable of making decisions, able to act under pressure, powerful and able to negotiate, among other characteristics. Clearly, it is complicated for one person to meet all these requirements, but this is the ideal profile.
TYPES OF LEADERSHIP
- Autocratic leadership. A leader with absolute power over others.
- Bureaucratic leadership. A leader who follows the rules to the letter.
- Charismatic leadership. One of the best types, because this kind of leader inspires enthusiasm in employees, even though they believe more in themselves than in the work team.
- Laissez-faire leadership. A French expression meaning “let it be”. This type of leader lets employees work on their own. It is effective when the team members have enough experience in the field.
- Business leadership. When the leader of an organization motivates to achieve the goals of the company and employees feel these achievements as their own.
- Natural leadership, a non-formal leader, who has emerged from among employees because of their ability to solve problems or guide others.
- Transactional leadership. Employees join the company agreeing to obey everything decided by the leader, a short-term focus.
We may think that of all these types, a natural leader turned formal leader is the best, because that person already has the skills and already deals with people but does not have power within the organization. On the other hand, it may be that, by having employees with vast experience, we can give them the freedom to discover solutions and then act on the result.
BEING A GOOD LEADER
A good leader is not a friend, but a guide, someone who wants you to grow and improve professionally and contribute to the organization you are part of. A good leader will want you to give 100% of your potential so that you can grow and so that the company can see the kind of worker you are. This might even lead to a promotion!
Someone who deserves the title of leader knows the attitudes and good and bad characteristics of their collaborators and will motivate their people to be the best. The type of person we advise you to look for to lead your organization is the natural type, combined with the business type, because they will already have the necessary skills yet will not neglect the economic, financial and social objectives of the company.